Sunday, January 23, 2011

Analysis of an Advertisement


While looking at this image, I can understand that the arguer wants me (the reader) to believe that animals are being killed to make fur coats and skinned articles. After seeing the blood, I am made to believe that I should not purchase these articles. If I were to see this image without the aid of text, I would have a different, confusing view about the purpose of this picture. The accompanied "Don't buy exotic animal souvenirs" led me to a newfound insight about the true purpose this photo. I feel as of the text leads to a better understanding, however the blood on the image really hits the spot. What I mean is, if I were to sit here and just look at the photo, of just read the text, none would make sense without the other. Unlike most claims, they are advocating to sell something. However in this case, they are arguing to NOT sell a product, the product being "exotic animal souvenirs." By all means this photo attracts attention, yet arouses interest. This image makes me want research more about exotic souvenirs. In this image, the support comes from the little black and whit logo at the bottom right hand corner with the letter WWF on it. This organization is just the conservation of wildlife. Being that this world re-known logo is presented on this photo, it seems to present validity and convincing. The underlying warrant happens to be that when one buys exotic animal souvenirs, the animal skin being used is from slaughtered and killed animals. 

2 comments:

  1. you bring up an interesting point about the picture by its self. without the text at the bottom or even just the WWF logo in the corner it would lead me to believe this person i don't know, murdered someone because of the dragging of the blood. But both the picture and the logo together leads to what you say, exotic animal souvenirs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon ~ I have to agree with you that there is a necessity for the picture and text to be put together for this to be an effective argument. I found Erica’s bloody body conclusion entertaining. I enjoyed reading your blog it is very thought out work. Awesome job! ;-)

    ReplyDelete